I like cats, and I like cake, so eating cake surrounded by beautiful cats sounds pretty heavenly, right? Well since the cat cafe craze hit UK shores I’ve been able to indulge my fantasies thanks to Scotland’s first cat cafe, Maison De Moggy, which opened in Edinburgh in early 2015. I paid my first visit last summer and loved every second, so when Lis suggested that we pay Maison De Moggy a visit for some early birthday celebrations I was very quick to get on board.
So, if you fancy paying Maison De Moggy a visit to see it for yourself here are a few tips that are worth bearing in mind:
- You’ll need to take your shoes off, or use shoe covers, so try to avoid my mistake of wearing tights with holey toes or mis-matched socks…
- The cats have a plethora of toys and treats available so there’s no need to bring your own, just bring yourself and maybe a camera as these babies are hard to resist snapping cute photos of!
- In my experience Maison De Moggy can get booked up quickly, especially over the summer and throughout the Fringe, so I’d recommend booking in advance
- Cats sleep a lot, and I’m incredibly jealous of that, but I find that the cats at Maison De Moggy are particularly sleepy after their lunch and tend to be a bit more active in the morning
- Be prepared to fight for your cake, Elodie isn’t referred to as a cake ninja for nothing. Hold it high, eat it quickly, whatever your plan of action is you need to be prepared for a bit of feline attention when it comes to your snacks!
- Speaking of cakes, the selection on offer are all locally sourced and there’s a good variety to suit all dietary requirements including gluten free and vegan – there’s something for everyone
Matching cat prints aren’t compulsory, this is just what happens when you are basically the same person, and always end up buying the same clothes. You can read Lis’ post about the cat cafe here and be sure to check out Maison De Moggy on Facebook and Twitter too.